Guided walk – 6.15pm
Date(s) - 13/06/2018 - 31/10/2018
6:15 pm - 8:20 pm
BRUNEL’S THAMES TUNNEL Pirates, Pilgrims, Mayflower and Brunel 10:45am every Sunday and Monday and 6.15pm every Wednesday from Bermondsey Tube (Jubilee line) Just turn up – no booking required. In partnership with London Walks. £10 per person / £8 concessions. “The sun set; the dusk fell on the stream, and lights began to appear along the shore…” Now the curtain rises upon a different scene.
- 1st Miracle: we’re only a 7-minute tube ride away from the Houses of Parliament.
- 2nd Miracle: we’re 500 years away;
- 3rd Miracle: this place still looks like – feels like – what it once was. (Was to Gulliver – it’s where he sailed from)
- 4th Miracle: the Mayflower – the Pilgrim Father’s pub – is here. And a Dickensian mortuary, king’s palace, villain’s gibbet, prince’s tomb, pirate’s pub.
- 5th Miracle: down we go, into “the underground cathedral” (as the BBC called it) – the Grand Entrance Hall to Brunel’s Tunnel under the Thames. Coda anyone? River-lulled in ancient Rotherhithe we’ll hear the cool lapse of hours pass, until the centuries blend and blur. In Rotherhithe, in Rotherhithe…